Oserian Flowers

Our Story

In 1969 Hans Zwager – a Dutch World War II Marine turned entrepreneur – bought a large cattle ranch on the shores of Lake Naivasha, Kenya. The estate, set in a part of the world Hans and his wife June had loved since the early 1950’s, was Oserian.

Hans ran Oserian as a vegetable farm for over a decade. Then one day in 1982, a colleague made a simple but life-changing suggestion – that Hans use some of the land to grow a flower called statice, popular in Europe.

From the seed of an idea, Oserian was reborn as a flower farm.

Central to our farm’s success has been Hans’ pioneering spirit – from those first steps growing statice, to setting up a small test site for rose cultivation, to becoming one of the largest exporters of roses into Europe.

This spirit has seen Oserian grow alongside Kenya’s economy for 35 years. In fact, Hans was instrumental in establishing a pivotal East African flower auction, TFA. This allowed African farms to sell flowers all year round and bypass the EU’s restrictive regulations.

Hans passed the baton to his son Peter in 2005. Now spread over 5,000 acres, we handle more than a million stems of flowers every single day, but our founder’s vision of farming in harmony with wildlife and our community continues.